According to the Orlando Sentinel,
Officers said 24-year-old Kenny Zarzuela struck Spencer George Owens' car in Tuesday's crash at Lake Margaret Drive and Semoran Boulevard while fleeing from police. Owens, 42, of Orlando, died at Florida Hospital East.Police say an officer turned on his lights upon observing Zarzuela run a red light. The suspect was driving erratically and refused to stop. The officer followed for a block or so, and when he was turning his police cruiser around, heard the sound of the collision.
Orlando Sentinel: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-crash-accident-orlando-20100119,0,6550186.story
News reports out of Orlando this morning are revealing the death of a motorist who was struck and killed by a vehicle that failed to stop at the request of the Orlando Police Department. Details are few and far between, but here is what we think we know so far:
- According to the Orlando Sentinel, OPD attempted to pull over a blue escort after it ran a red light.
- The escort failed to stop, and the police followed.
- The suspect's car then struck the victim. Rescue crews transferred the victim to the hospital, where he/she was pronounced dead.
- The suspect has been arrested. Charges have yet to be filed.
- According to WESH, police noted that they did not initiate a pursuit and that the accident happened minutes after the attempted stop.
Local 6: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22270486/detail.html